Top 5 Health Tips for Nursing Moms
Whether you’re a new mother or just had baby number four, if you’re nursing, it is extra important to take good care of your health — despite how sleep deprived you are and how hectic life can be during those first few months. From boosting nutrition in everyday foods with Kretschmer Wheat Germ to finding time for exercise, here are our top five health tips for nursing moms:
- 1. Avoid Empty Calories: Just like during pregnancy, make every calorie count while you are feeding and nourishing your new baby. Avoid processed foods and sugary drinks by replacing them with healthy alternatives. For example, instead of buying that giant cupcake from your favorite coffee shop, try making your own quick breads or muffins at home. The Kretschmer Wheat Germ Usage and Substitution Chart gives you easy ideas for boosting nutrition in everything from smoothies to salad dressings.
- 2. Carve Out Time for Mom: Try to set aside time every day just for you. Even if it’s just 20 minutes for a bath or an hour to catch up on your favorite TV show, you need time every day to unwind and relax without worrying about the needs of others.
- 3. Boost Water Intake: When your body is producing milk, you need to make sure you stay hydrated and drink plenty of water. If you don’t enjoy plain water, fill a pitcher of water each morning and flavor it with lemon wedges or cucumber slices for a delicious and subtle flavor enhancer.
- 4. Get Outside: Research shows that getting outside for a little fresh air can improve mood and boost energy levels after as little as 20 minutes. Take baby on a walk using your favorite baby carrier or stroller, and you’ll not only burn calories but help combat fatigue at the same time.
- 5. Eat a Well-Balanced Diet: To make sure your baby is meeting his or her nutritional needs, be sure to eat a balanced and varied diet. Focus on lean proteins, whole grains and plenty of fruits and vegetables. For a quick and easy dinner idea try these Mushroom, Parmesan and Wheat Germ Turkey Burgers.
What is your favorite quick and easy weeknight meal? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below.